Tuesday, December 5, 2017

I'm Not A Love Poet, by LeAnne Campbell

I was born on July 6th, 1999.
That makes me a cancer.
I don’t know what that means,
But about a week before I met you
I remember seeing a post on Facebook that a Cancer’s significant other is a
Capricorn.
Now, according to google,
“Capricorn and Cancer are opposite signs in astrology;
Compatibility between opposites is often good as they provide a special balance of qualities,
Each offering something the other lacks.
In this case,
Cancer is a deeply emotional and intuitive sign,
Whereas Capricorn is cool, practical and logical.”

What the hell/
Who the hell
Is a Capricorn?
A Capricorn is someone born between December 22nd--January 19th

When I met you, I didn’t know when your birthday was
But come to find out, It’s December 24th, Christmas Eve.
Damn, you’re a Christmas miracle,
And damn, was google right when it said that Cancers are deeply emotional.
That explains why
I’m writing this poem about you.
That explains why, within a month,
I was the first to say “I love you”
Even when you said you wanted to take things slow.

It’s been a month
And I still say, “I love you” all the time
Even when all you say is,
“I know, I really like you too.”
Damn, I swear I’m not a love poet,
It’s just
You.


1 comment:

  1. You aptly describe the giddy intoxication of new love, LeAnne. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete

A Better Option to Cynicism

We're living through an unsettling time in history, a time we'll talk about to younger generations as we shake our heads and wond...