Tuesday, December 5, 2017

After Credits: Parking Lot, by Jillian Law

The best part isn’t the movie.
Half the time, I wouldn’t come if it was just about the movie
(because let’s face it, sometimes we see some junk).
But I do come.
I sit and eat popcorn and watch a screen silently.
I sit and wait for my favorite part.

We never go home right after a movie
Never, not once
We linger in the theater, talking over another
There’s so much to say and not enough time or words to say it
When do you go back to school?
Is that the actress from Shameless?
Show me pictures of your new bunny.
We talk until the credits end and someone notices a guy standing by the exit, waiting for us to leave so he can clean the theater

We leave the theater, but the conversation doesn’t end
We lean against our cars, parked in the same place we always park
Right under the streetlamps
I shiver and suggest we talk inside my car
Rachel gives me a blanket from hers instead
Getting inside the car feels too much like wanting to leave for us tonight

There’s no limit to where these conversations can go
We complain about school and our parents
We talk about the future and our dreams
Where we will be soon and where we want to go
There’s plans to study abroad and take LSATs and MCATs
There are plans to write more and worry less
Fears are shared, stories told

Tonight, we talk about the movie
We talk about our parents and how you don’t always get to choose your family but you do have to stick by them
We decide that it’s easier said than done to cut toxic people out of a person’s life
We agree that people are not black and white, not ever, and that childhood was wrong about that
Sometimes, I feel like we could solve all the world’s problems standing underneath this streetlamp

Somehow, my friends start debating if I’ve ever ate a vegetable in front of them
Gabby doesn’t think I even know where the vegetable section in the grocery store is
They laugh when I pause to think about vegetables I like, and I protest
They decide that corn will count for now and that my ranch to broccoli ratio is maybe too high

I’m still shivering, bouncing back and forth until Irese tells me I’m making her nervous
I start tapping my foot instead and wrap the blanket tighter around me, trying to keep warm
I don’t want to leave
I want to savor this moment, savor them
Bask in these girls, their friendship, their company
The way any conversation seems right with them
How nothing is too scary or too silly to say when we’re leaning against our cars in the parking lot

We keep talking until it gets late
And then Rachel’s little sister is texting her asking when she’s going to be home with her popcorn
And Irese has to work tomorrow
Gabby and I are both tired, and I’m still cold
But none of us quite want to leave

We slowly inch our way towards our cars
Giving at least three goodbye hugs
But we keep talking
Really, we could be here all night
Rachel says to get in our cars on the count of three
One more round of hugs
And then we do
One, two, three
We get in our cars and drive away

We drive away and I think to myself,
I can’t wait for our next movie night

1 comment:

  1. This poem evokes a lot of memories from high school, Jillian. I espeically love the lines "I want to savor this moment, savor them/Bask in these girls, their friendship, their company/The way any conversation seems right with them..." How fortunate you all are.

    ReplyDelete

A Better Option to Cynicism

We're living through an unsettling time in history, a time we'll talk about to younger generations as we shake our heads and wond...