Tuesday, November 21, 2017

A Day in Giverny, by Frances E. FitzGerald


Monday, May 23, 2016

The best part of our day was walking through Monet's gardens at Giverny (near Vernon). Now that I've seen where Monet worked, I can better understand why he spent 20 years painting water lilies. If you find an achingly beautiful spot like this, why would you want to work anywhere else? And by that time, he was already successful. Another canvas of water lilies?--No problem.

It made me think of the gardens of my friend Kathleen M.. Her flowers are also a riotous profusion of colors. Although they're under control, there's still a splendid abundance of botanical anarchy. No exhaustive manicuring or over-pruning for our Kathleen--or for Monet. It's as though the blossoms are so vibrant and robust that they can barely be contained.

I do not have a green thumb, but when there's a choice between botanical abandon or restraint, I've got to opt for abandon.

1 comment:

  1. Love these photos, Frances. I opt for abandon whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete

A Better Option to Cynicism

We're living through an unsettling time in history, a time we'll talk about to younger generations as we shake our heads and wond...